
Synod Lutheran Church
Built on the east side of Ulen at a cost of $6,000 by the South Wild Rice congregation, from which Calvary would later emerge. It was known in those years simply as the Synod Lutheran Church.
✦ Our Story
Calvary had its origin in the South Wild Rice Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation, formed in 1878 in the log house of Bjorn Hendrickson, about two miles northeast of Ulen. Present at the organizing meeting were Ole Asleson, Bjorn Hendrickson, Helge Klemetson, Even Reiersgord, and Anders Stromset, with the Rev. K. Bjorgo acting as chairman. The first officially recorded meeting of the congregation was held in 1882.
A church was erected at the north end of Ulen in 1889, and that same year the congregation voted unanimously to join the Synod of the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. In 1913 it was decided to build again, and the new church rose on the east side of town the following year.
In 1917 the Synod merged with the United Lutheran denomination. Those congregations and pastors who did not go along with the merger reorganized the Synod in 1918 as a continuation of the old body; today it is called the Evangelical Lutheran Synod. South Wild Rice and the United Lutheran congregation merged in 1921 under the name Bethlehem, and a few years later those members who did not join that merger organized the congregation we know today.
It was organized on March 15, 1926, under the name First South Wild Rice Lutheran Church, making March 15, 2026 the congregation’s official hundredth anniversary. For its first year it was served by Pastor C. N. Peterson of Fertile. The Ladies’ Aid was formed that same March. The name was changed to Calvary during the pastorate of George Gullixson in the 1960s.
In 2018–19 Calvary asked to join with Immanuel Lutheran Church of Audubon as a dual parish, and Pastor John Merseth Sr. was called as full-time pastor of both congregations, installed in January of 2019.
Quick Facts

Built on the east side of Ulen at a cost of $6,000 by the South Wild Rice congregation, from which Calvary would later emerge. It was known in those years simply as the Synod Lutheran Church.

Erected in 1889 for the United Norwegian Lutheran congregation and standing on the site of the present church, this building was purchased on the congregation’s behalf by Ole Halvorson in 1926. It was destroyed by fire on December 19, 1948, during a rehearsal for the Christmas program. Quick action by members saved the altar, the pulpit, and the chancel railing.

A basement unit was dedicated on December 11, 1949, and served as the place of worship for six and a half years. Work on the main building began in 1955, was completed in May of 1956, and was dedicated on July 1 by the Rev. Milton Otto, president of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod.

A new lobby was added to the front of the building and dedicated on March 26, 1972. Stained glass windows were placed behind the altar in 2001, and a new sign and organ followed in 2005.
The altar, pulpit, and chancel railing carried out of the fire in 1948 are still in use in the sanctuary today.
✦ March 15, 1926 ✦
Vacancies were served at various times by the Rev. Sophus Lee of Hawley, the Rev. Wayne Halvorson of Hawley with Vicar Roger Falk, and Pastor John Merseth Sr. from 2015 to 2016.




Pastor John Merseth Sr.
Pastor
Calvary Lutheran Church
Pastor John Merseth Sr. first served Calvary as vacancy pastor from 2015 to 2016, and began serving the vacancy again in the fall of 2016. When Calvary and Immanuel Lutheran Church of Audubon joined as a dual parish, he was called as full-time pastor of both congregations and installed in January of 2019.
He preaches and administers the Sacraments among us in accordance with Holy Scripture and the Lutheran confessions.
Contact the Church Office✦ Synodical Membership ✦
The Evangelical Lutheran Synod traces its heritage to the Norwegian Synod of 1853. It was reorganized in 1918 by pastors and congregations who, unwilling to compromise the pure teaching of God’s Word, sought to continue in the historic Lutheran confessions. Calvary’s own founding grew directly out of that decision. Today the ELS operates Bethany Lutheran College and Bethany Lutheran Theological Seminary in Mankato, Minnesota.
Learn More at ELS.org →